Monday, August 19, 2013

Something Bizarre Happened...Or not.

Apparently, when you're at home a lot, not much bizarre happens. At least, not the kind of thing a person can write a blog post about. I
The rock.
highly doubt anyone but me finds the fact that we found a polished and pretty rock my son lost three years ago when we planted one of our new cherry trees this summer particularly interesting. I may have to rethink the topic for this slot.


So, what to do today? I've promised myself that I wouldn't skip anymore blog posts, so how about a round-up of some other people's internet offerings I've enjoyed lately.

Writing:

* Redefining Success For Self-Publishing by Leslie Ramey on The Creative Penn was a welcome reframe of what constitutes success in self-publishing.

* The Madness of the Muses by Sarah Callender on Writer Unboxed was an enjoyable affirmation that I am not the only one who worries over the amount of time I submit to writing.

Science:

*It's OK To Not Understand These Pictures. Our Brains Weren't Built To Handle Them on Upworthy via Nicole L. Bates, Author reveals the grand size of the Universe. We are truly small.

* Mix of Housecat, Teddy Bear: New Mammal Discovered in Cloud Forest via Accuweather (But don't forget the monkey discovered in Columbia. It's got the prettiest eyes. Human or Monkey? on Keeping Babel at Bay.) Cute animals, but the monkey really does have a human-like face.

Scifi/Fantasy:

* Certain Doctor Who Phrases and how Olive Garden Customers React: An Experiment Done by a Server on The Stranger. Just cute!

Feel Good:

* Maroon 5 The Daylight Project (You Tube Video) Not sure why this is so powerful for me, but I suspect it has something to do with the song and the honest humanity of the people in the video.

On writing news, I have listed Finding Meara with Story Cartel, a site which brings readers and authors together. Readers join the site to receive free books, knowing they are "encouraged" to leave reviews on Amazon, among other sites. So if you know of anyone who might want to get a free copy of Finding Meara in exchange for a review, you can send them here.

Did any of the links pique your interest?

8 comments:

  1. Oh, lots to comment on.

    We've had that happen where we find something which was lost (for a long time.) It is kind of bizarre.

    Love that Sarah Callendar post. Totally get it.

    The space thing is interesting. I never realized that the Hubble Telescope was so powerful. That is so super cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't Sarah's post wonderful? She has a disarming and honest (and funny!) style that I always enjoy reading.

      Hubble is amazing, and sadly on it's last legs. They were going to retire it a while back, but the plans were put on hold. I don't know what the future for Hubble is. :(

      Delete
  2. Did your parents ever buy you one of the fun "workbooks" as a kid--where you could color and solve puzzles and fill-in stories? This post is like the adult version--so many interesting things. :D I missed Sarah's post last week so I look forward to catching up. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely have eclectic interests. That's probably why I have such a hard time with branding. I really am a study in contrasts!

      Delete
  3. I liked the post about Redefining Self-Publishing and I loved the server using Dr. Who quotes and then....there's my name! What a fun surprise and thank you so much for the mention! I thought that video provided such a great change of perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome, Nicole! I loved the photo. All those cosmological "things" absolutely fascinate me.

      Delete
  4. It is funny where we find the things we've lost. It's a mystery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandmother always said to pray to St. Anthony and he'd make sure you got your stuff back. I have never not had something return if I've prayed the St. Anthony prayer, so I wonder if I showed my son the prayer, and it finally came to fruition. :)

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Please leave your comments below.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...