Tuesday, November 26, 2013

For the Writers: The Connection Between Acting and Writing

A little known fact about me is that I initially majored in Drama when I first attended college. As a senior in high school I got a part in the travelling children's show of the local college and garnered a scholarship. When I "stopped out" of college, I still enjoyed participating in community theatre - until I attended a workshop where any confidence I had of my acting abilities was stomped out by the cocky actor giving the workshop.
Me!

The artistry behind acting and putting on a production still awes me, though. My husband and I always love to watch the interviews and behind-the-scenes extras included on the DVDs of movies we buy. I am completely fascinated how actors talk about how they come to understand the character they're playing. I never was involved in theatre long enough to really learn how to dig into a character. For me it was always more intuitive and less thoughtful.

Something that has recently occurred to me is that, in order to gain that deep characterization in writing, to make our characters come alive, we need to be actors to all of the characters of our stories. Yes, the beginning is to understand their goals and motivations for the story. We need to know their backstory and values. But we need to go deeper than that.

How do our characters view other characters, in relationship to themselves - and how do the other characters view them. Most of life is cause and effect. Dialogue is a string of verbal reactions to what the other person is saying. Understanding the roles our characters play within their interactions with others can help us create more realistic dynamics.

For example, if character A is younger sister to character B, but has always been the protector because character A is bigger, or less shy, then how would character B react? Would character B feel relieved and go with it, or would character B feel marginalized and resent character A. How would character B demonstrate that resentment?

How does character A feel about being the protector. Does she wish character B would grow up and take responsibility for herself? If we can identify the story within the backstory (character A is younger sister to character B) we can have some real conflict within a very real dynamic.

What kind of personal style do they have, and why? When I was in high school I was a rebel, but also rule-bound. I had no desire to break laws, but I definitely didn't want to identify with the other students who demanded power over everyone else. How did I demonstrate to everyone that they had no power over me? Through my clothing. I was one of 2-3 students in my small, Nebraskan high school of 400 to own studded bracelets and parachute pants (Who remembers those? Really? Now I feel old.) Even today the clothing (casual), jewelry (minimal)- even sunglasses (anything that makes my feel glamorous) - I choose are a demonstration of who I am. 

Personal style goes beyond the outward appearance, though. What kind of mannerisms do they have? How do they move? Are there cultural issues that come into play? What kind of communication style do they have? 

I promise one day very soon I'll quit talking about Tom Hiddleston, but this is one instance he is a perfect example. Well, actually, it's his ability to play different characters believably that is a perfect example. It's not just the costumes and make-up that transform him from character to character. His face and mannerisms as Loki are very different than when he is Prince Hal (or any of the other characters he's played). He creates an identifiable personal style for each character. 


What is the character's public persona versus their private? We all act differently in different situations, because social rules differ depending on where you are. How does the character navigate these changes? Is how they react to things internally different than what they show on the outside? This is one area I love about Hazel in Finding Meara. She is constantly having a totally different dialogue in her head than what she actually says. It's one of the best things about writing in first-person point of view.

I hope this made sense. Even now, my understanding of character development is rather intuitive. I know what I mean, but I'm not sure I have a good enough grasp of it to verbalize it. It's all a learning process, but what an exciting process!

How do you deepen the characterization of your characters? Any tips you'd like to share?

12 comments:

  1. You don't need to stop talking about Tom. It's your blog. :)

    And cool picture.

    I've tried all the forms were you answer questions about characters or say what they'd do in certain situations but but for me, I think writing (unnecessary) backstory or even thinking about it is what works best for me. Write out some of their history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for giving me outside permission - I really did need it. :D

      Yep, the forms don't work so well for me. I've done better with answering interview questions that have some meaning (ie. who would you like to see again that you can't and why) I also have a book that was written by a psychologist and writer that gives scenarios and then you answer the questions as the character would and it gives you some ideas into the psychology of the person. It's kind of fun. I think it's called What Would Your Character Do, but can't remember. It's been a while since I last used it.

      Delete
  2. I need to share this post with a writing friend-- he has mentioned very similar feelings to me before. I find it interesting that the couple times I tried my hand in acting, I didn't like it. Likewise, I struggle with writing (and reading sometimes) fiction. I like nonfiction. Hmm--

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie! I'm glad it was an interesting perspective. That is interesting about not liking acting and not always enjoying reading/writing fiction. I wonder if they are related...

      Delete
  3. Hey Lara,

    I'm the friend Julie mentioned above—glad she did! I concur wholeheartedly. I've acted throughout my life in various community and professional venues (but as a hobby, not a career) and really enjoy losing myself in the character(s). It gives me the opportunity to put on another's skin, to live as someone else—not vicariously, but actually be that person. For a time at least. And to be that person to the fullest extent, one must gain insight through background, sibling/relationship dynamics, known events in the person's life (events that are written in the script), and an unknown backstory created by the actor based on the information provided. I find it so much fun!

    And writing is the same, that is, if you want deep, believable characters. What made that person's relationship with his father so strained? Invent an event and go from there...the writing starts to take off by itself. You begin to feel as the character would feel. Sometimes, either after a performance or writing, when I've been, let's say, an angry character, it's tough to leave that anger behind if it hasn't sorted itself out on the stage or the pages before dismissing yourself.

    Great post, and so glad Julie mentioned something to me. I'm glad you see the connection between the two arts...I think that's why so many writers who sit on movie sets tend to tell the director, "That's not what I had in mind." Julie shared this on FB, and I'll have to do the same. Nice to meet you.

    M.L. Swift, Writer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Michael! Thanks for commenting and following! It's very nice to meet you, too. I bet your background in acting really does serve you as a writer. The way you describe getting into character is such an organic way to develop characters, I think. It's interesting about not being able to always let go of the emotions unless they've been resolved. I've never really thought about it, but I think I may have experienced some of that, as well.

      Delete
  4. I love theater, too. I studied theater in college, but then switched to film. The art of writing plays, screenplays, or novels is close to the same, and all your thoughts about how acting creates characterization and characterization creates actors are absolutely right. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lexa! I'm glad I made sense. Writing fiction is so much easier than expressing what's in my head sometimes. :)

      Delete
  5. I'm ALL ABOUT playing out the scene as the character. That's the only way dialogue is realistic, not disjointed, stylistic banter (as it often is in movies that are cranked out for money not inspired from the story). I usually get a "running start" with the scene-reading the last two scenes/pages and then put myself in the scene and react to what's being written/said. Having someone read it aloud with you helps if you get stuck, as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having someone read dialogue with you is a great idea! There are times where I stop myself and ask "Now, knowing what you know about [said character] how would they react." It's easier to do the more time I spend with them. Writing new characters can be so tiresome because it starts out (for me, at least) that disjointed, stylistic banter!

      Delete
  6. I love watching behind-the-scenes extras, too. They add so much richness to the movie. Well, now I know why I write poetry instead of novels. Wow, all that work! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sabra. :) Personally, I think poetry has it's own work - just a different kind. I guess that's why it's called the writing craft. It doesn't matter what form we choose, we still have to practice and work to make it better each time. That's what makes it so much fun, though. The challenge is never-ending!

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Please leave your comments below.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...